Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,comp.arch.embedded
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default remote controlled audio mixer/equalizer project

msg wrote:
I would appreciate some suggestions for implementing a stand-alone
audio mixer/equalizer box using commodity components, in the shortest
development time at the least possible cost. I am tending to
want to to use four PCI sound cards in an older PIII 1u rackmount
cpu to create a four audio bus/eight inputs mixer, with
four independent equalizer channels. It should be controllable
using an arbitrary protocol over RS232 or ethernet, not require a
resident GUI, nor local mass storage except perhaps flash for program
48kHz sampling rate to and from unbalanced line level connections.

Why do you want to do this rather than use an existing device that does
this? There are a bunch of devices like this out there, including a
popular one from Roland that is well-documented.

Some preliminary thoughts are to use a version of *IX as the o/s
and layer ALSA and LADSPA with plugins on it, connected with the
'jack' framework, and for testing just control it through remote
shell command scripts until a complete control program is written.
Since I'm using low-end hardware, I had dismissed using 'Pulseaudio'
as a framework (unless convinced otherwise).

Should I be considering some other o/s or RTOS?

If I were doing something like this and I were having to use generic
PC hardware, I would consider RTLINUX. It would be different if the
PC were just a front end to a dsp, though.
--scott