Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper[_2_] Sunworshipper[_2_] is offline

Default Wire brush in the WRONG hands!

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:43:00 -0800, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:33:23 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Nov 19, 12:32?am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

I had to use a disk sander on my big cast iron pan two years ago, after 39
years of heavy use, and I re-cured it in less than an hour.

Put enough salad oil in it to completely cover it really well (I used about
1/4" of it); heat it until the oil is smoking good (preferably do it
outdoors on a camp stove). Then turn off the heat and let it cool to room
temperature. Wipe the oil out. After one more use, pancakes and eggs would
slide right off like it was...ten years old. g

--
Ed Huntress

I scrub my CI frypans shiny sometimes and re-season them with olive
oil the same way. They work well even without doing it.

olive oil is somehow magic in reseasoning cast iron. A friend suggested
using it as it's a really fatty oil, and burns easier than other vegetable
oils. The suggestion was right.

Can someone here point me to a good multi-lingual "How to treat
well-seasoned Cast Iron Cookware" treatise in Spanish?

I'm about ready to shoot our housekeeper, every time I use a cast
iron pan and leave it on the stove to cool I find it in the cupboard -
with all the seasoning scrubbed off.

Course, this is probably why all the Teflon pans don't stay
non-stick for too long around here either...

Mom got the message through years ago (more than likely by using
devious means) but Mom's gone and the lesson has worn off.

-- Bruce --

It should go something like this. No olympia por vavor while your
holding or pointing at it.