Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default OT? American politics

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 22:01:23 -0800, the infamous Bob Summers
scrawled the following:

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 11:47:44 -0500, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I don't know where you get your information about NEA, Wes, but I think
you're pointing a finger in the wrong direction. The problem with the NEA is
that they resist management of teachers that would improve their
performance, and weed out the bad ones. They had good reason years ago to
establish tenure systems and those reasons even exist in some places
today -- patronage employment and firings for teachers and arbitrary firings
based on political views -- but there are better ways to control the
problem. If you've been following events in Washington, DC, you'll see a
whole new approach to getting the unions out of the tenure business and it
has wide public support.

OK, so the NEA is a union with all that entails. Their goal is not
the education of the nation's youth, their goal is to get as good a deal
as possible for their members while being perceived as working
towards the education of our youth.

Isn't a union's goal to rake off as much money and power as possible
while being _perceived_ as getting as good a deal as possible for
their members, all this while being _perceived_ as having lofty and
altruistic goals?

--
Latin: It's not just for geniuses any more.