Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing a 110 volt 20 amp hot tub spa GFCI questions

"fzbuilder" wrote in message
Hello, I just picked up a used Hot Springs spa that is 110v 20amp. It
has had the original GFCI plug cut off and replaced with a standard
plug. I am setting the spa up in my garage and plan to share the
receptical for my washing machine that is on a 20amp breaker. (Won't
be running them at the same time). I am wondering if I can use a GCFI
adapter in between the cord and outlet. The spa has 2 breakers on the
control box already. Just want to be safe.
Thanks for any help.

I agree with RBM. Change the washing machine receptacle to a 20 amp GFI
receptacle. It is probably cheaper than an inline device or GFI plug. The
original GFI plug may have been removed because it was too bulky to plug
into a weatherproof receptacle.

The current electrical code has specific requirements for hot tub
installations. I can't recall everything from my code class, but I remember
that the use of insulated mats was required on concrete floors around the
perimeter of the tub where equipotential bonding has not been installed.
Concrete is an excellent ground and stepping on it while wet would just make
you all the more conductive if there was an electrical problem. Check out
article 680.