Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe Andy Cuffe is offline

Default Bose Wave Radio loud AC hum

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:32:45 -0800 (PST), wrote:

My 1994 Bose Wave Radio has a VERY loud AC hum from the speakers, no
other sound. All displays are fine; display will show stations tuned
to, but no signal comes through. I checked the main filter capacitor
(10,000 mfd, 10V) and it seems to be OK.

Help!

Also, Where can I get a schematic of this radio?

If that's the version that has a small vertical daughter board near
the power transformer, then the problem is caused by leaking caps.
Bose used a bad batch of caps in their early Wave radios. Every
single one of those miniature electrolytics (and any others that are
the same brand) will have to be replaced. Don't forget the ones on
the display board, and the daughter board. You'll also have to
thoroughly clean the entire circuit board which has a film of
conductive electrolyte all over it.
Andy Cuffe