Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Wire brush in the WRONG hands!

In article ,
"Buerste" wrote:

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
"Buerste" writes:

I was showing my young nephew how to clean-up some small parts with a
crimped wire cup brush in my drill press. He was just infatuated with
the
way rust and crud were replaced with bright shiny metal. I've seen that
look before! After I was confident he wouldn't lose his eyes or
fingerprints I let him discover. A few hours later he presented, with
great pride...my grandmother's cast iron frying pan! It looked newer
than
the day it was cast!

I take it that it was properly seasoned before he started?

It WAS better than Teflon, oh well, another 50 years and it'll be as good as
it was.

Well, the short-term solution comes in two parts:

First, coat the pan with peanut oil, heat until it smokes, allow to
cool, wipe old oil off. (I find peanut oil to be best because it cures
like paint.) Repeat a few times. Blackening sausages in lard also
works.

Second, shellac the nephew.

Joe Gwinn