Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Fabricating Camera Optical Equipment Lens Adapters

I've had no luck trying to locate information, adapters or lenses for
miniature cameras with NF mount lenses.

The NF designation isn't related to the thread style, but instead is a
miniature version of of C or CS mounts, which instead of being 25mm, the NF
is 16mm diameter (or maybe a 16.5mm).

I wasn't able to locate the specifications of the NF mount threads. I'm not
sure what thread pitches are commonly used on camera/optical equipment
(although 32 tpi is a rough guesstimate).

The miniature video cameras I'm interested in are the SONY XC versions,
which use the NF mount and utilize a 1/3" CCD imaging device.

Adapters exist to adapt the larger C mount series lenses to NF, but my
preference is to use miniature lenses with the mini cameras.

I expect to use aluminum for fabrication (or possibly brass) and I suppose
that anodizing is probably about the only option for coatings for aluminum
fittings.

Much of the threading for optical parts is very near a shoulder and a narrow
cutting tool would need to be used, maybe a ground HSS cutoff tool for
external threads.

I would most likely approach the threading operation with a hand crank since
the threads on optical fittings are generally only a few revolutions.

Please share any info related to threading practices, specifications or
fabrication of small threaded components that could be applied to optical
equipment.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Another area of interest is adapting various optical components' focal
length. I've found online info about the various camera lens optical
elements (vague, Wikipedia), but would like to have any recommendations for
references to optical mechanics.
I have a Selsi/Edmond diopter gauge, but the minimum lens size it can
measure is about 20mm diameter.

--
WB
metalworking projects