Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default OT? American politics

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Sadly, it was not uncommon for many to have good paying jobs back then,
jobs that would require a degree today. For example, many of the
engineers on the Sergeant guided missile project had no degree, but could
do the work. That wouldn't happen today, but it gave me the hope of
landing a decent job. I was lucky. I landed on my feet.

I hold no one responsible for my lack of education but myself, but it
would be interesting to see how I might have turned out had I been
encouraged to study and to have gone on to college.

Well you probably wouldn't have been able to earn your living as a grinder.

When someone is doing the fine work on a very expensive part, I would think having a very
competent person doing the work would be worth paying a decent wage to.

Here engineer, you drew it, there it is, there is the machine, have fun. I don't think
his education is going to get him far enough.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller