Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Ceramic kitchen knives

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 00:04:47 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

Oh, wait, I remember where you got the diamond thing. You're talking about
cubic zirconia, which is a form that's clear crystal, used as artificial
gem
diamonds.

It still isn't diamond, man-made or otherwise. But you probably know that.
The ceramic zirconia usually is white.

Right, and now black. The black ceramic knives are sinister looking.
Very cool.

Are you sure they're zirconia? Black is usually aluminum oxide. In
high-performance engineering applications, black may be silicon nitride.

I'll bet they're aluminum oxide (alumina).

--
Ed Huntress

--
Latin: It's not just for geniuses any more.