Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default how to redonate an old computer to a kid

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:01:47 -0000, "Peter Hucker" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 04:36:22 -0000, Franc Zabkar wrote:

Foreign aid to Africa is a case of poor people in rich countries
giving money to rich people in poor countries. I've donated a lot of
money to World Vision in the past, but never again. Africa is in a
state of perpetual war, aid projects go to ruin after the volunteers
leave, food convoys are hijacked and the produce sold on the black
market, corrupt officials pocket aid money for themselves, etc, etc.
Rampant HIV/AIDS will kill most of the population by the end of the
next decade.

Better keep your old computer and set it up as a print server, or
paperless fax machine, or audio/video jukebox, or dedicated standalone
word processor.

Surely a big organisation such as World Vision would know this?

Sorry, I should explain. World Vision sent me a newsletter in which
they stated that some aid money was being used to build churches, or
something of that nature, IIRC. Whatever it was, it turned me off
forever. This was about 20 years ago.

- Franc Zabkar