Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default McGyver resource: The Circular File

On Nov 18, 1:44*am, Winston wrote:
[^ original, the rest copied and pasted from a .txt file. Michael, try
replying to this.]

This spreadsheet is intended to be an open resource for all
denizens of RCM and other folks who make models and prototypes.
I encourage you to wander around your shop measuring all your
Things, so that all can have a way to easily make stuff
using "Stock On Hand". Upload your .CSV version to RCM
and I will integrate it and present the total for everyone.

This is the table I use most. Rather than a spreadsheet it's on a CAD
drawing with full-sized section drawings to cut and paste. Brass pipe
seems to be very close to these numbers. Iron pipe is sloppier and not
always round, especially at the weld line, but it's easy to buy
locally on nights and weekends.

The numbers are from Machinery's Handbook 23, pp 2380, 2381, which
also give Moment of Inertia, Radius of Gyration, Sectional Modulus,
etc.

Notice that 1" fits easily into 1-1/4", also 1-1/2" into 2", and 3/4"
may be a tight fit into 1". To make then telescope well, bore a cap
for the larger pipe and turn one down for the end of the inner one.

1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" brass pipe nipples can be bored to make bearings
for 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8" shafts.

Pipe OD ID 40 ID 80
1/8 0.405 0.269 0.215
1/4 0.540 0.364 0.302