Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default AR15 evaluation

On 18 Nov 2008 04:56:06 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

Now, think about this. With a variable scope, when you get your
sight picture, how "far away" is the target? Well, that all depends
on what power the scope is set at. E.G., if it is set at 9x and
you're thinking "3x" - "Dang that's close up!", and miss accordingly.

Intersting -- and I had not even thought of that. I would
expect the magnification to become obvious during the moment of shifting
from direct view to view through the scope. But I guess that in trying
to remember everything else you mentioned, you could overlook that.

If you are out doing the ground squirrel thing, its a nice and relaxed
shooting experience. However when hunting 2 legged game that tends to
have friends...you try to minimize all the thinking stuff and rely on
the KISS princible, so it doesnt **** you up, or slow you down.

It has been my experience that getting everything "right" for a
shot (cheek weld, eye relief, pulse, breathing, tension on trigger,
site picture, etc) is hard enough without adding the variable of
movable optics.

[ ... ]

Enjoy,
DoN.