Posted to alt.home.repair
LouB LouB is offline

Default 5 yrs on washer hoses?

Tom G wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message ...
Hi All,

My Maytag manual says to replace washer water hoses
every five years. I presume they are talking about
those all rubber hoses.

Does this five year replacement plan also apply
to my (expensive) stainless steel mesh reinforced hoses?

Many thanks,
-T

Both hoses are rubber, mainly. Either is apt to fail in 5 years or so...the
main difference is the stainless wrapped version will start with a leak that
you "may" notice before too much damage is done and the all rubber version
will suddenly blow with drastic consequences (flooding).

Tom G.

If that stainless hose is wrapped won't it be much harder for the hose
to split and develop a leak? Isn't that the main reason for the
stainless wrap?

Lou