Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default how to redonate an old computer to a kid

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:22:28 -0800 (PST), torque63
put finger to keyboard and composed:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4559633_redo...puter-kid.html

Kids, whether rich or poor, want the latest and greatest. They will
not be satisfied with someone's hand-me-downs.

You may have to "redonate" your old computer a hundred times before
you find a kid that's grateful enough to take it, and unashamed to use
it.

A lot of poor people are poor because they spend like rich people.
Here in this country, most "Aussie battlers" are self made.

/end of rant

- Franc Zabkar

I beg to differ. I don't know what the OP has, but my daughter was the
ecstatic recipient of an Athlon 2.0 gig machine on her birthday. I
hooked it up to her stereo system and put a PCI wireless card in so that
I wouldn't have to run copper to her mom's desk for internet...doesn't
even have an LCD monitor.

We had gifted her pretty heavily earlier in the day with swim
paraphernalia (she's a competition swimmer). While she was at swim
practice (two hours/day, five days/week), I hooked up the system in her
bedroom. When she came home I handed her 'one last present'. It was a
mouse in a plastic bag. 'What do I do with this?' I told her she might
need it some day, and to go put up her swim stuff. (She didn't get it....)

The shrieks of delight from her room were music to my heart and ears.

Frank, you've got a jaded view of kids...at least some of them.

jak