Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buerste Buerste is offline

Default Wire brush in the WRONG hands!

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
"Buerste" writes:

I was showing my young nephew how to clean-up some small parts with a
crimped wire cup brush in my drill press. He was just infatuated with
the
way rust and crud were replaced with bright shiny metal. I've seen
that
look before! After I was confident he wouldn't lose his eyes or
fingerprints I let him discover. A few hours later he presented, with
great pride...my grandmother's cast iron frying pan! It looked newer
than
the day it was cast!

I take it that it was properly seasoned before he started?

It WAS better than Teflon, oh well, another 50 years and it'll be as good
as it was.

I had to use a disk sander on my big cast iron pan two years ago, after 39
years of heavy use, and I re-cured it in less than an hour.

Put enough salad oil in it to completely cover it really well (I used
about 1/4" of it); heat it until the oil is smoking good (preferably do it
outdoors on a camp stove). Then turn off the heat and let it cool to room
temperature. Wipe the oil out. After one more use, pancakes and eggs would
slide right off like it was...ten years old. g

--
Ed Huntress

Thanks Ed, I'll reseason it and it'll be OK. I wish I had a picture of
myself when I saw the great job the nephew did...It was hard to keep from
laughing or crying. I'll bet the pan is seasoned deeper than a wire brush
will get to. I wonder if it will change the flavor?

I still have to follow through with polishing a good stainless pan to a
mirror finish then having it TiN coated. I'm thinking it would be a
high-temp, non-stick surface impervious to metal implements or damage of any
kind.