Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim[_2_] Speedy Jim[_2_] is offline

Default lead (drain) pipe, drum trap questions

George wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 08:13:07 -0500, Speedy Jim
wrote:

George wrote:

We have a bathtub that has a drum trap - which appears to be lead, as do
the connecting pipes. (The stack is cast iron.) The trap is leaking.

I'm thinking to cut the lead pipe on the stack side of the trap, use a
rubber coupling to join that end to PVC from there to the tub. Is there
reason NOT to do this? The alternative would be to unsolder the lead
pipe from the stack Y, and connect the PVC there. This looks like it
would take big heat, and might never get clean enough for the new joint
to seal well.

TIA,
George

All lead tub drainage was common from turn of century till 1920's.

I would cut the lead close to the stack entrance and use a
Mission-style coupling:
http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexi...tock-couplings
1056 series coupling to adapt to PVC.
If you can get to the stack connection, put the coupling over
the solder thimble where the lead attaches; that will help prevent
distortion of the lead. ...

That all makes sense, except it's so tight there. The (lead) pipes are
bent to fit.

I see that Genova lists a PVC drum trap (75715). At first blush, that
might simplify things. I gather that they're not recommended (and often
not code), but would that be a really BAD idea?

And, re the PVC drum: could it be mounted upside down, so the cleanout
was on the top? The current drum has an opening in the bathroom floor,
which could make the cleanout accessible.

Thanks,

Yes, the PVC drum would make sense in your case and put the cleanout
on top.

The guys bending lead to avoid obstructions had a big advantage, eh?

Use great care cutting the old lead so that you don't disturb it,
possibly causing leaks elsewhere.

Jim