Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Further on Gaelic

Hi Tom,

I don't know about the loss of knowledge, but the loss of culture with
the homogenization of regional speech is a sad loss. I used to be able
to predict where a person was from by his speech, but with the
dispersals of WWII and the advent of television we are rapidly losing
the Southern drawl, the New England Ayeauh, the Boston Paack the Caar.
The New York Yoose Guys, the Midwestern Flattening, and the Southwestern
Slurring.
Each region once had a distinctive and interesting accent. I expect the
UK would be even more so with Yorkshire, East London and Wales as
examples.

Thanks Tom, for your note re the consequences of losing a language,
although Sanskrit and Gaelic might be the reverse of using a skew.
Easier to do than to say!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter