Posted to rec.woodworking
BrianSiano BrianSiano is offline

Default Tuning Makita LS1013 Miter Saw - problems

On Nov 17, 5:34*pm, "Swingman" wrote:

My Makita LS1013 has a split fence, and even if you couldn't adjust the
fences so that both the left and right fences are *dead-on* in the same
plane, you can still cut 45 degree miter cuts by using only one fence and
referencing the desired blade angle to that fence.

My Makita has a single-unit fence (I may be wrong about the model
number). The center portion is a C-shaped hollow, to make room for the
blade.

IOW, make any rough cuts you need with the work piece against both fences if
you must, but make the final miter cut for accuracy with the work piece only
touching the accurately referenced fence, making sure that the off-cut is
not long enough/does not touch the opposite fence.

If I misunderstand the problem, my apologies ...

You understand perfectly, actually. Last night, I decided that it was
probably best to align the left-hand side of the fence to the blade.
(Happily, the right-hand side angles _away_ from the cutting area, so
it won't interfere with any cuts.) Maybe in the future, I'll build a
better fence, but this should work for now.