Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_3_] Steve W.[_3_] is offline

Default Ceramic kitchen knives

Ignoramus6517 wrote:
I would like to try buying a ceramic kitchen knife like this

ebay 310099844249

just mostly out of curiosity. Has anyone tried them. Thanks

Without looking on fleabay I can say I have a nice set Kyocera Classic
Ceramics.

They works VERY well for routine kitchen work. the edge is sharper than
most of my steel blades and holds it a long time. They don't stain when
used to cut acidic foods, and they slice straight due to the low
friction of the ceramic. It is possible to sharpen them if you dull the
edge HOWEVER I would suggest sending them back to the company as the
edge requires more than just a diamond stone to sharpen it properly.

Drawbacks, the blades CAN be fragile, it depends on who actually made
them and how they finished them. You also want a GOOD wood or plastic
cutting board, just like the ones you want for steel blades. That keeps
the edge from being damaged and worn. NO HAMMERING ON THE BACKSTRAP!!!

The top names in ceramics are Kyocera, Tachi, Shenzhen (who also make
ceramic blades for a couple of the HIGH end steel blade companies)

http://www.kyoceraadvancedceramics.com/
http://www.tachiblades.com/
http://www.shenzhenknives.com/

--