Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Modifying CH pipework on combi boiler system

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:31:03 -0000 someone who may be "Roger R"
wrote this:-

I want to modify the pipework feeding a radiator on a combi boiler system
but I could do with some advice on how to go about it as I am a novice at CH
systems.

My idea was to use a couple of freezer kits that go around the pipe
isolating the section, avoiding draining down the whole system.

I would advise not using these kits by novices, who tend to work
slowly and may come to a sudden stop when they discover the bit they
have forgotten. It is not good to then be worrying about the ice
plugs melting.

I suggest draining down the whole system, as had been said this is
the time to fit drain points to make future work easier. If
necessary you can then put in a system cleanser (if you don't know
the history of the system), then inhibitor. These can be put into
radiators with a suitable gadget, there should be instructions with
the bottle it comes in. To take one example,
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/84838/Plumbing/Central-Heating-Treatment/No-Nonsense-Cleaner-1Ltr
comes with a little pipe which fits into a radiator.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh