Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] NOSPAMnet@gmail.com is offline

Default Modifying CH pipework on combi boiler system

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:58:35 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Roger R wrote:
I want to modify the pipework feeding a radiator on a combi boiler
system but I could do with some advice on how to go about it as I am a
novice at CH systems.

My idea was to use a couple of freezer kits that go around the pipe
isolating the section, avoiding draining down the whole system.

Why? If it's difficult to drain at the moment because of a poorly
positioned drain now's the time to sort that.

It sounds like you're not terribly experienced and those freezer thingies
cost a lot and of course soon melt. Just what you need half way through
the job. And it would be a good time to add new inhibitor as well.

I havn't used these kits before, but guess that it is best to release
the pressure in the system before starting. If I shut the water off at
the house stopcock and open a radiator vent valve, will this be
suffiencient to release the pressure in the system? I'm thinking about
air stored somewhere - in a closed header tank?

If it's a sealed system their should be no water feed to it anyway. The
filling loop should be disconnected after use.

I've seen this mentioned a few places but never seen an explanation as
to why it need be removed . It was connected on my Alpha when it came
out of the box and has styed in situ ever since .The fitter made no
mention of removing it ....not sure what the manual says ( must look)
but surely if the taps in the loop are in the off position thats good
enough . Seems more convenient to have it connected rather than
faffing about anytime u need to topup ..even if it is a rare occasion.
Anyone know?