Posted to alt.home.repair

Default walkway lights - recommendation?

On Mon 17 Nov 2008 08:32:15p, Norminn told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Mon 17 Nov 2008 06:19:08p, Nate Nagel told us...

My next door neighbors have an exterior flood that they leave shining
on our (shared) driveway all night every night. I've actually thought
about offering to put in a photocell and motion sensor for them. (I
grew up out in the sticks, and "light pollution" is something that I've
never quite gotten used to.)

We don’t have street lights on our street, but my next door neighbor has
a commercial street light in his front yard which shines directly into
the bedroom window on the side of our house. I know there would be no
negotiation over this, so I’ve put room darkening shades on all the
windows of that bedroom.

The same light also illuminates half our back yard due to the proximity
and setback of the two houses. Not much I can do about that.

That's a violation of the building code where I live. Lights above a
certain height have to be shielded
somehow - don't recall all the details.

In many areas of Phoenix and its suburbs and adjacent cities, there are
areas classified as “county islands”, which adhere/or not to the actual
city codes, laws, regulations, etc., of the city in which the county island
is situated. We live in such a location. It would seem that damn near
anything goes.

Had we known this before we built our current home, we might have
reconsidered our location choice. OTOH, it also offers some freedoms we
enjoy.

Another difference is that we are under the protection of the county
sheriff’s office, not the city police department.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 11(XI)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day