Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Connection to cable constantly lost

On Nov 17, 1:21*pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Nov 17, 12:42 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Nov 17, 2:05 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

MaryL wrote:
I have a whole-house surge suppressor built into my circuit box, and
also have all electronic equipment attached to separate surge
suppressor.
My CPU and monitor are connected to an APC back-up UBS.

I recently had technicians from the cable company (SuddenLink,
formerly
Cox) at the house twice. He solved one problem but not the other. I
was
not getting some channels on the TV that I have in the computer room,
and
the reception on the channels I did receive was terrible. He solved
that
problem. However, he was not able to do anything about the other one.
That is, I frequently (several times a day) lose connection to cable
and
to the Internet. This happens regularly immediately after I send a
fairly large e-mail (using Eudora), but it also happens at other
times
without any warning and without any real pattern -- I could be
surfing
the Internet, reading newsgroups, sending mail, etc., and access is
suddenly gone. When I check the little connectivity icon in the task
bar, it will then show "Local access" only instead of "Local and
Internet
access." I can usually (but not always) regain connection if I turn
off
the surge suppressor that is connected to everything *except* the CPU
and
monitor. As I said, they are on a separate UBS. The CPU, monitor, and
Zoom modem are all new. Only the router (LinkSys Wireless-G) is
older.
This problem has been occurring with increasing frequency for more
than
year, so it started while I had my older computer but has continued
with
the new equipment.

The cable company technician changed the splitters "just in case,"
with
no noticeable effect on the system. He suspects that the router is at
fault. However, he tested the router and it responded correctly.
Moreover, the cable company was able to "ping" it from the home
office.
Does anyone have any ideas? I can replace the router, of course, but
that will involve more expense than just the router because I had a
networking rep come out to set up some of the equipment because I
wanted
to make sure that my laptop was not vulnerable to "drive-by hackers."
They supposedly set a type of security that is better than what I had
done through Control Panel. So, I really hate to do that unless I can
be
fairly certain that the router is at fault. Incidentally, I have a
lot
of experience with several types of software, but I have absolutely
no
knowledge of hardware and would not even be comfortable with software
that involved editing the Registry.

One thing the SuddenLink technician said surprised and confused me:
He
said that they "preferred" that homeowners not use *any type* of
surge
suppressor. He did not request that I disconnect mine, but I don't
understand that statement. Does anyone know why the cable company
would
take that position. He also said, "They don't do any good anyway."
Actually, I had a small surge suppressor that proved its worth a few
years ago. My microwave would not work after a major thunderstorm,
and
thought it was ruined. It turned out that the surge suppressor had
been
destroyed, but it had done its job -- the microwave worked perfectly
after I discarded that surge suppressor.

MaryL

Hi,
Both you and your tech did not do most simple basic things.
Did he measured aseband signal level? Every connector incurs ~2db loss
when connection is proper. Is your router properly configured and does
it
have a lastest firmware loaded? Utilized ping and ipconfig command to
see
what is going on? Eliminated all the gadget accessroies and tried
basic TV or/and Internet hook up? Use common sense, think logic.
Replacing this and that is a good method of trouble-shooting. When you
replace something you must have a valid reason.
Good luck,

Unfortunately, I don't have any idea how to do most of what you
described.
I can tell you that the tech measured signal level (but I don't know
what
"aseband" is). He measured at each connection point and also went
outdoors
to check the entry into the house. My computer is only a few months old,
and I hired tech support to set everything up, including wireless for
the
laptop (but the desktop is not wireless). That person went through a
number
of ipconfig commands. The cable company was able to ping the router.
Gadget accessories? Unless I miss your meaning, I don't have any. I have
the CPU, monitor, printer, and a small TV. And, of course, there is the
router and cable modem. The tech support I hired downloaded all drivers.
I'm not even sure what you mean by "basic" TV and/or Internet hook up.. I
went through a routine -- numerous times -- where SuddenLink had me
unhook
just about every cable and connect and re-connect components. Finally,
they
sent someone out as I described in my original message. We did lose
Internet access on one occasion while he was here, so he saw it but
still
did not solve the problem. He did call the home office, and they could
ping
the router and modem. The technician they sent "suspects" that it is the
router even though they could ping it.

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

Gadget accessories? Unless I miss your meaning, I don't have any

I believe that Mr. Hwang is referring to the surge supressors, UPS,
etc. Calling them "gadgets" might be excessive, but a fairly standard
troubleshooting technique is to get the "system" (all components from
input to output) down to it's simplest configuration and get it
working. If the problem goes away, you can start adding "gadgets" back
in to see which one is causing the problem.

In your case, you might want to start with just one computer and the
cable modem, then add in the LinkSys router, then add other devices to
the router, then add in the surge supressors and UPS's, one at a time.

BTW - and don't take this wrong way, I'm only trying to help...

In various posts, you have used both UBS and USB. I believe you mean
UPS as follows:

UPS - Uninterruptible Power Supply, essentially your battery backup
system.
UBS - An investment firm headquartered in Switzerland
USB - Universal Serial Bus, the modern day standard for connecting
peripherals to a computer.

You're right, I did mean UPS. "Starting with one computer" is easy. I have
a laptop with networking capabilities, but it is seldom used. So, this all
relates to my desktop computer. It also started with my previous computer
(replaced just a few months ago) and continues with the current computer.