Posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Speaker overload (tweeter) protection using bulbs (repost)

liquidator wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Arny Krueger wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Sigh. Find a basic DC coupled design and drive it *very*
hard - we're talking severe overload here - and look at
the output. It will approach the power rails.

That's what saturated output devices do.

Depends what you call saturate. It'll clip even if anti-saturation
measures such as a Baker Clamp are used.

It'll be virtually a square wave with almost twice the
sinewave power of the amp but not 'DC' though.

Right, there will be a sort of sloppy square wave whose spectral content
will depend on the waveform driving the amplifier.

Yeah. Might conceivably be a bit asymettrical but probably not to a large
degree.

The peak amplitude will be the rail voltages (which will have sagged if
there is a significant load), minus the saturation voltage of the output
devices. If you look closely, there may be some funny stuff where the
output stages snap out of saturation.

Base charge storage. That's what the Baker Clamp stops.

This square wave will of course have more energy in it than a sine wave
with a similar peak amplitude.

Around twice.

Arny and I agree?

Chicken Little was right...

I argue how close it is to virtual DC though.

I certainly don't feel it fits the definition.

It's AC not DC ! Damn, they were on the week before last. 8 Nov.
http://thehorn.co.uk/ click on "What's On" then full listings. Not bad either.
Oh and I could tell you a tale about that evening too ....!

Graham