Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Connection to cable constantly lost

On Nov 17, 12:42*pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Nov 17, 2:05 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

MaryL wrote:
I have a whole-house surge suppressor built into my circuit box, and I
also have all electronic equipment attached to separate surge
suppressor.
My CPU and monitor are connected to an APC back-up UBS.

I recently had technicians from the cable company (SuddenLink, formerly
Cox) at the house twice. He solved one problem but not the other. I was
not getting some channels on the TV that I have in the computer room,
and
the reception on the channels I did receive was terrible. He solved
that
problem. However, he was not able to do anything about the other one..
That is, I frequently (several times a day) lose connection to cable
and
to the Internet. This happens regularly immediately after I send a
fairly large e-mail (using Eudora), but it also happens at other times
without any warning and without any real pattern -- I could be surfing
the Internet, reading newsgroups, sending mail, etc., and access is
suddenly gone. When I check the little connectivity icon in the task
bar, it will then show "Local access" only instead of "Local and
Internet
access." I can usually (but not always) regain connection if I turn off
the surge suppressor that is connected to everything *except* the CPU
and
monitor. As I said, they are on a separate UBS. The CPU, monitor, and
Zoom modem are all new. Only the router (LinkSys Wireless-G) is older.