Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus6517 Ignoramus6517 is offline

Default Shopmade grinder with winch.

On 2008-11-17, Christopher Tidy wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2008-11-17, Christopher Tidy wrote:

Ignoramus5437 wrote:

I have a interesting project for this winter. I'll post some pictures at
r.c.m for people to see, but it will probably have to wait a few weeks.
I've gone back to using a film camera for most things as I got annoyed
with digital cameras breaking, losing my pictures and their batteries
going flat.

I would say, buy a better digital camera.

A better digital camera will mean that those things don't happen so
soon, but they'll still happen in a relevant period of time. You'd be
lucky if a good digital camera lasted you more than 5 years. But pick
the right film camera and it'll last you a lifetime.

Hmm ... my Nikon D70 is probably around 5 years now, and it is
still working fine. And -- it uses lenses from the earlier film Nikon
cameras.

In my mind the 5 year figure was referring to compact digital cameras,
as opposed to digital SLRs. With a good digital SLR you may do better.

I would not want to keep a digital camera beyond 5 years. 5 years
means two generations of cameras.