Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Abene mill gearbox insides

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 23:22:29 -0800, the infamous "Bill Noble"
scrawled the following:

"Winston" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 23:29:41 -0800, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Bill Noble wrote:
(...)
If anyone would like, I can take a couple of photos of the assembled
gearbox
ready to go back into the mill and upload them to the drop box - I
won't
bother unless someone asks.
Please do.

For the lazy old guys, please provide a link, ala:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...F-3-Gear-2.JPG

What's with the brass/bronze, non-hypoid, non-helical, curve-toothed
gear thingy, Unca (Aunt?) Winnie?

That's _Honorary Aunt_ to you, buster.

The worm wheel? I haven't the foggiest.

Hey Bill, can you remind us what the worm wheel does for a living?

Thank you kindly.

--HA Winnie

There are two brass pieces in the gear box - at the top is a brass gear that
is driven by a worm gear (that goes into the rear housing) - the worm is
driven by a 2 hp motor, in my case via a flat belt.

Ah, that explains its shape.

The other brass (bronze?) piece is the sifter fork, that moves two gears up
and down based on the rotating of the gear sleector lever. Thsi is a 12
speed gearbox, as I recall.

Yes, I saw that one, too, and thought it might be a thrust bearing.

Thankee, sirs.

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.