Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y
Peter Hucker Peter Hucker is offline

Default Wireless tyre pressure monitoring?

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:02:39 -0000, Ret. xxx wrote:

DervMan wrote:
"Mike G" wrote in message

"Brimstone" wrote in message
Roger Mills wrote:
Does anyone out there have any experience of wireless tyre pressure
monitoring devices - the sort which have special valves containing
a sensor, and a central display with LEDs and a bleeper and report
status?
Yesterday, I wrote off an otherwise perfectly good 225/45x17 tyre
because I had apparently been driving it flat for a while without
noticing.
In days of yore I could always tell by the seat of my pants if a
tyre was a bit flat. But many modern cars are grossly over-tyred,
with very wide low profile tyres which *look* flat when they're
not, and don't really *feel* any different when they are.

At £100 a throw, you don't have to write off too many tyres before
a monitoring system would be cheaper.

Any comments or recommendations?

How about manuall checking your tyre pressures weekly, at the same
time as you make all your other routine checks?

You do make routine checks don't you?

Unfortunately routine checks don't cover all eventualities.
Does anyone visually check all 4 tyres every time they use their car?

*waves*

Yeah I do. Old military habit. Pressures and tread depth is checked
around every 2,500 miles, more frequently for new tyres.

I can sympathise with the OP as I wrote off a 255x40x17 tyre in a
similar way. At low speeds, on a straight road, it's very difficult
to detect a flat low profile rear tyre.

It is. Fortunately, this car has the lowest profile tyre I've yet
owned, which is only a 215/55/16, so it still looks like a tyre.

In my case it was the n/s rear tyre. Fine in the morning. Jumped in
and drove about 300 yds straight up the road on my way home. Realised
something was not quite right, so stopped and found the flat tyre.
Changed it for the spare, but the damage was done. With the weight
of the car on the fold in the tyre, the carcass had started to
delaminate. The only consolation, if you can call it that, is that the
tyre
would have been scrap anyway, as a the puncture which had caused it
to deflate during the day was an unrepairable one on the shoulder.

I checked and decided against the option of tyre monitors.
Aftermarket ones rely on wireless dust caps, which are too easily
nicked. I just check the tyres a bit more frequently than I did
before.

...and are of course unproven in any application until you've had
them for a while, too.

I fitted a set of those valve caps that show a red strip when the pressure
drops. They were just under £10 for the set and work a treat. When I first
got them I kept a check on them with a digital pressure guage - but I'm now
happy that they work accurately and a quick visual check when washing the
car is all that's needed. I've had them on for over a year now and they
haven't been nicked yet.

Wouldn't work here - I have never washed a car. Why wash something which will get dirty next time you use it?

One day, a mom was cleaning her son's room and in the closet she found a bondage S&M magazine.
This was highly upsetting for her.
She hid the magazine until his father got home and showed it to him.
He looked at it and handed it back to her without a word.
She finally asked him, " Well what should we do about this?"
The dad looked at her and said, "Well I don't think you should spank him."