Default Virus Alert

"J&KCopeland" wrote in message
news

"Dennis " wrote in message
"Scratch Ankle Wood" wrote in message
s.com...
The other day I had one of my people stuck with a 2 1/2 download time

for
email on her computer because of viruses (the first wave) that had

come
in
starting about Labor Day. All from one Road Runner Indianapolis

account.
Her ISP's response when called was to say it was just spam and he

could
change there email address to solve it. Interesting response I

thought.
Wonder why his business isn't flourishing. Actually, he better than

the
other local providers and none are doing well. Anyway, one email to

abuse
at Road Runner solved the problem.

The numerous emails I'm getting don't appear to be from any
real source. When asked about putting virus filtering software
on their mail servers, my ISP (Patriot Media in NJ) actually
said "no one is using that kind of thing or else there wouldn't
be all the viruses spreading around the world." Needless to
say I was shocked by this logic.

Dennis Vogel

No one does it for a reason.

With thousands of end users, it's extremely difficult to create a general
application rule that wouldn't supress legitmate eMail for someone. I

have
a rule deleting everything that has "Microsoft" in the subject line, but

if
I worked for Microsoft or one of it umpteen vendors, I might find that
particular rule, totally unacceptable.

How about an email that contains a virus? Those should be filtered
by an ISP. In fact, a good ISP will let individual users configure
their own filters. No need for everyone to have the same filters.
This isn't a difficult problem to solve. And it's in the ISP's interest
to do this because it is their bandwidth that is getting chewed up
with this crap.

I don't normally eMail executable files, but I have, on occasion forwarded

particular file to a relative.

Even the multi-address rules of some ISP's can cause problems. My

daughter,
a manager, regularily sends out bluk eMails to 22 regionally dispersed
employees.

Much better for end users to learn the rather simple rule, do NOT open any
attachments unless you know exactly who sent it and why.

Yeah but there's a little problem. When I shut off my computer, the
email backs up on the ISPs mail server. When it gets full, valid
email gets bounced. Overnight is sufficient to clog my mailbox.

Dennis Vogel