Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default Hard gloss surface

"GMM" wrote in message
Close to completing a refurb of a cloakroom and I have to build in a
cupboard under the sink. Simple enough, although everything has to be
a custom fit for good reasons. I want to effectively set the sink
into a worktop, although it's not as deep as the sink itself IFYSWIM,
more like a curved triangle each side.
My original intention was to make this from a piece of white worktop
but when we went to get some over the weekend, all the 'white'
worktops looked pretty off-white compared with the sink and would look
pretty poor. SWMBO says it must be white, so no contrasting colour
options there (!).

Plan B is to use something (thick ply/mdf/pine) to make it up, then
get a suitable finish onto that. Trouble is, what sort of finish?
Regular paint is too weak, things like formica don't seem to be
available any more (except in 8x4 sheets to special order). I thought
of ceramic tiles but cutting all the curved edges to follow the sink
would be a complete pain and (more importantly) doomed to failure in
my hands.
I don't mind taking a little while getting the job right and it
occurred to me that spray paints should be capable of giving a good
glossy hard finish if it's built up with plenty of coats but I've only
ever used sprays on metal before and have no idea if any will work
well on a primed wood surface.

So what does the committee think? Any advice on the spray approach
or any other suggestions warmly received...

TBH I think it would look worse than tiles even if they are a pain to cut.
Even uPVC might look better. I just don't think you will get a cleanable
finish with paint. White tiles are cheap, get a tile saw and persevere is
what I would do.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)