Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Refurb of old walls - insulate inside or outside?

Andy Dingley wrote:
From a recent thread on rendering:

On 16 Nov, 09:30, Tim Lamb wrote:

When the farmhouse was *done up*, the exterior was re-rendered over 25mm
of insulation.

I'm facing a bunch of this for refurbs over the next couple of years.
The main house isn't going to be changed, but I've thin-walled
extensions to the rear (pantry etc.) and various sheds that are
certainly candidates for adding wall insulation. The rendering,
particularly one shed, isn't impressive at present anyway.

So what are my pros and cons for adding insulation to either the
inside or outside of the wall?

1/. Practicality. It may be more and nastier work to do it outside..
2/. Wall thickness and where you want it put..this impacts on e.g.
windows and doors. interior or exteriors cills, drip beds and the like..
3/. thermal mass inside the insulation. Or not. Plus loss of room size.
Or not.

On 3/. its up to you whether you want fast heat up times or stuff that
takes an age to eat and cool.

If the rooms are used only occasionally, insulate inside, but for prime
living ares, outside is nicer. Cooler in summer. Stays at even temps in
winter.

Thanks