Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default 1/2 bath to 3/4 bath home improvement

On Nov 15, 2:56*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Nov 15, 6:40*am, JONES-SMITH JONES-SMITH.

wrote:
I own a 54 year old house in Los angeles and I want to convert my 1/2
bath to a 3/4 bath by adding an upright shower. The room is "L" shaped
with a toilet at one end of the "L" and a sink at the other. The idea
is to make the room square by demo'ing the closet that makes the room
"L" shaped. I have very little experience but a lot of guts. I have a
professional who will hang the drywall after I am done installing the
shower. My biggest concern is tapping into the existing plumbing. My
plumbing questions a What supplies will I need? How difficult is
this project? How do I do it?
Thank you,
Hopelessly Cheap

--
JONES-SMITH

Do you have underneath access to do the drains, or is it on a slab???
THis is crucial!!!

Do you have underneath access to do the drains, or is it on a
slab? This is crucial!!!

The answer to that question might be crucial(!!!) but I suspect for
reasons other than you were thinking. I assume that you mean that
"underneath access" is easier, but that might not be the case.

It might be easier if there is access underneath the bathroom, but if
there are structural issues to deal with (such as cutting joists) to
connect the drains, then it might be better if you're dealing with a
slab.

An electric jackhammer will bust up a slab floor pretty easily,
allowing access to the drain system. Once the existing pipes are
exposed, there is no issues with any framing to deal with.

I've replaced a shower (moving the drain) and added a sink on a slab
floor and I've remodeled a second story bathroom, replacing the
galvanized drains with PVC. While both of these were done from above
the floor, in some ways the slab job was easier than the second floor
job because I did not have to deal with any framing under the floor.