Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry Peter Parry is offline

Default OT - Intensive learn to drive courses - recommendations please?

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 09:20:20 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations - quality of tuition above price.

Some years ago I was involved in a study of military driver training
for taking non-drivers to MOT Test standard. The study looked at
various options including accelerated training "test in a week" where
pupils were learning by driving 6 hours a day for 5 - 7 days. Most
students were 17-19 years old.

Broadly what was found was that more than 2-3 hours driving a day was
counter productive as students found it very tiring. "Test in a
week" had a much higher failure rate than 2 hours driving a day mixed
with other training over 4 weeks. "Test in a week" drivers also had
significantly higher accident rates in the 6 months after their course
and return to their units.