Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What wood for a gate?

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 21:39:47 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

how far does pressure treatment go into the timber?

Proper "pressure" treatment should pretty much fully penetrate the timber
even big stuff with 12" dimensions. It's done first by putting the timber
under vacuum to draw the moisture/air out, introducing the preservative
and then air pressure does the rest.

Pressure treated at best goes a few mm into the wood.

Leatsways thats what I have pvserved on all the stuff I've sawn.

Now wether the "treated" stuff you get in a builders merchant is really
"pressure" treated or just sat for 24 hrs in a tank is another matter...