Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Shopmade grinder with winch.

On 2008-11-17, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Ignoramus5437 wrote:

I have a interesting project for this winter. I'll post some pictures at
r.c.m for people to see, but it will probably have to wait a few weeks.
I've gone back to using a film camera for most things as I got annoyed
with digital cameras breaking, losing my pictures and their batteries
going flat.

I would say, buy a better digital camera.

A better digital camera will mean that those things don't happen so
soon, but they'll still happen in a relevant period of time. You'd be
lucky if a good digital camera lasted you more than 5 years. But pick
the right film camera and it'll last you a lifetime.

Hmm ... my Nikon D70 is probably around 5 years now, and it is
still working fine. And -- it uses lenses from the earlier film Nikon
cameras.

It's a personal thing. I like the idea that I've got a camera that I can
always get fixed.

Perhaps -- though the number of people capable of working on
them is slowly reducing.

Also, I find that because film isn't free, the quality
of the pictures I get is actually better.

Note that film is becoming less available and more expensive as
time goes on -- along with photographic paper. The reason is the silver
in the emulsion plus the reduction in the number of users over time.

Even back in my film days I probably shot a lot more exposures
in a given day than you do. (Typically three 36-exposure rolls between
two cameras in a given weekend day.)

Of course I processed my own at home, and could then select
which I wanted to print at that time -- and which might want printing at
some future time. This reduced the cost per exposure significantly.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564