Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] westom1@gmail.com is offline

Default Connection to cable constantly lost

Once the peripheral problem (see other post) is removed as a reason
for your problem (earthing is properly connected to a common ground
electrode and protectors removed everywhere from the cable), then we
move on to solving the problem using facts rather than speculation.

For example, do you have multiple computers on the same router?
Then setup a task so that both ping each other continuously. Ask if
you don't know how to do this. (ie ping -t 192.168.1. x) When
internet is lost, do both machines still see (ping) each other? Do
ping response times remains constant?

I am not completely sure what you do and do not have. For example, I
assume your Linksys connects to a cable mode which in turn connects to
the cable. So how is each box setup? Is the cable modem operating as
a router or only as a bridge? That gets answered by how the Linksys
is setup. Even Linksys will need those facts before saying anything,
so you may as well get those facts (especially the numbers) now. To
answer the above question, information such as the Linksys in PPPoE
mode (or what other setting) is necessary to get anything other than
wild speculation (it could be this or could be that).

Did the cable guy come with a meter to measure signal strength?
Cable companies should provide that $5000 device to every tech. Many
do not leaving the tech to also swap splitters without first learning
where the signal is diminished. In fact some cable guys buy their own
$5000 meter because without it, they too can only wildly speculate (no
numbers).

Well, you can also get useful information doing a tracert (which
means ‘trace route’). For example, tracert wwww.suddenlink.com
or tracert www.cox.com provides a list of IP addresses (numbers)
and response times so that the better informed know what exists
(rather than speculating).

Cable TV is actually frequencies all over the place. Specifically
which channels (which numbers) do and do not work during the
intermittent failure. Again, numbers that would say which frequencies
do and do not cut out.

On Nov 16, 5:32*pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
Thesurgesuppressoron the microwave did its job. *It "absorbed" the shock
during the storm (obviously, not a direct hit), so thesuppressorwas then
burned out but the microwave still worked.

As for thecomputerequipment, it's definitely not thesurgesuppressors
unless there is some reasonable explanation for why the cable company would
prefer that we not use *any*surgesuppressors. *I have onesurgesuppressor
(Philips) for the laser printer, Zoommodem, phone, router, and small TV. *I
have an APC backup USP for the CPU, monitor, and cable connection. *Both of
those units are new, and the problems I described pre-date them. *In fact,
the only thing on my current system that is *not* new is the router. *So, it
does seem likely that the router is the problem, and I am willing to buy
another one. *However, I am concerned because the technician tested it when
he was here, and it was fine. *The cable company could also "ping" it when I
called them. *Nevertheless, the technician suspects the router. I am going
to follow the advice of one of the people on this group and try to call
LinkSys before I try to change out the router.