Posted to alt.home.repair
Sharp Dressed Man[_2_] Sharp Dressed Man[_2_] is offline

Default Damn woodpeckers...

"retired54" wrote in message

"retired54" wrote in message

"Sharp Dressed Man" wrote in message
"aemeijers" wrote in message
They have been boring large holes in my wooden faux chimney stack
that encloses the flue pipe for my prefab fireplace. Started a month
or two ago, but I didn't notice till I was out there herding leaves
the other day. (Yes, I heard them from inside, but I thought they
were just drumming on the sheet tin cap, trying to show they were
the Alpha of the area.) As a temporary fix, I have been screwing
plywood patches over the holes ( a lotta fun 12 feet off the
ground), but come spring, I am going to have to come up with a
better solution. Siding is faux T1-11 that is really OSB, and it is
getting to be a tad mushy. I know the proper solution is to reskin
entire house with Hardie panels, or at least real T1-11, but with
the economy the way it is, I am reluctant to drop that much money in
the place. Anybody have any ideas for a non-hillbilly way to patch
the holes, assuming the bird has moved on by then? Just looking
around at the Borg, I don't think I can exactly match the current
pattern, to just replace that panel.

No, I'm not gonna shoot him, even if I could catch him in the act.
That is what woodpeckers do, etc.

--
aem sends.....

Well if you're such a pussy that you don't want to take a pellet gun
to them, get used to the drumming and the holes in your house....

Nothing wrong with caring about nature. Even if he shot a couple of
them if they are indigenous to the area they will be back anyway.
Better to remove the attraction. I say get a faux predator bird decoy.

Olddog

Hunters care about nature far more and do more to preserve habitat and
wildlands than the tree hugging "Ooh, ooh, I just couldn't bear to harm
a precious little critter" bunch...

Are you going to eat the Woodpecker?

Olddog

Good one! But he's still a pussy ;-)

"A man is ethical only when life, as such, is sacred to him, that of
plants and animals as that of his fellow men, and when he devotes himself
helpfully to all life that is in need of help."
Albert Schweitzer

Olddog

Must be tough trying to get nourishment from plastic hamburgers...and kinda'
damp and painful wearing plastic jockey shorts...