Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Damn woodpeckers...

Sharp Dressed Man wrote:
"retired54" wrote in message
"Sharp Dressed Man" wrote in message
"aemeijers" wrote in message
They have been boring large holes in my wooden faux chimney stack that
encloses the flue pipe for my prefab fireplace. Started a month or two
ago, but I didn't notice till I was out there herding leaves the other
day. (Yes, I heard them from inside, but I thought they were just
drumming on the sheet tin cap, trying to show they were the Alpha of the
area.) As a temporary fix, I have been screwing plywood patches over the
holes ( a lotta fun 12 feet off the ground), but come spring, I am going
to have to come up with a better solution. Siding is faux T1-11 that is
really OSB, and it is getting to be a tad mushy. I know the proper
solution is to reskin entire house with Hardie panels, or at least real
T1-11, but with the economy the way it is, I am reluctant to drop that
much money in the place. Anybody have any ideas for a non-hillbilly way
to patch the holes, assuming the bird has moved on by then? Just looking
around at the Borg, I don't think I can exactly match the current
pattern, to just replace that panel.

No, I'm not gonna shoot him, even if I could catch him in the act. That
is what woodpeckers do, etc.

--
aem sends.....
Well if you're such a pussy that you don't want to take a pellet gun to

Nothing wrong with caring about nature. Even if he shot a couple of them
if they are indigenous to the area they will be back anyway. Better to
remove the attraction. I say get a faux predator bird decoy.

Olddog

Hunters care about nature far more and do more to preserve habitat and
wildlands than the tree hugging "Ooh, ooh, I just couldn't bear to harm a
precious little critter" bunch...

I met a really sweet girl who was a member of PETA,
she had just undergone a series of Rabies shots because
she tried to save a little critter from a dog and the
critter bit her. I often wonder if the lesson in the
natural order of things had any impact on her. *snicker*

TDD