Posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,sci.electronics.repair
liquidator liquidator is offline

Default Speaker overload (tweeter) protection using bulbs (repost)

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 05:03:47 -0500, "George's Pro Sound Company"
wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 04:25:13 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:

"George's Pro Sound Company"wrote:
"Meat Plow" wrote in message
Eeyore wrote:

This is a well established technique for preventing voice coils
burning
out under conditions of 'overdrive'.

There is a stage monitor I'm having problems with that uses this
method.

The HF sounds very distorted and almost cuts in and out.

I looked closely inside and found some damaged push-on terminals.

Ah,
thought, probably a poor contact causing the probelm, replaced

them,
checked driver DC resistances etc, reassembled thinking I'd

probably
fixed it.

But no, the low level HF and distortion continued.

I'd checked the DC resistance of the protection bulb but later it
occurred to me that it might have 'very nearly' burnt out and have

weak spot that wouldn't show up on a DVM but passing signal would
heat
it and cause this trouble. I'll be able to find out soon enough

but I
wondered if anyone else had ever encountered this ?

In the meantime I brought the HF driver home to check it's not

voice
coil rub.

Been using some Wharfedale stage gear for a year or so. The mains

are
all protected by lamps. I've replaced two in a year but not
experienced a distorted HF. You'll find problems in the xover or
drive
I would assume rather than the lamp.

or maybe it's time to upgrade from that MI grade junk your using
George

Who, me?

From what I've heard they're well considered and in the IAG group now.
http://www.internationalaudiogroup.com/

The Chang brothers don't believe in messing about AIUI.
http://www.internationalaudiogroup.c...ve_summary.php

Graham

We've been using the Warfe pro-audio stuff for a year and have had few
problems. One 2500 watt power amp we used for our 18" subs got sent
back because it was too sensitive and would fault when pushed hard at
4 ohms. The replacement did not exhibit this behavior under the exact
conditions. I've replaced a couple lamp protectors elsewhere.

I wouldn't call Wharfedale junk. It's usable, sounds good and reliable
and a lot less expensive than other name brands.

I consider W home stereo grade gear, not suitable for Pro Live Sound,

below
behringer

Glad to hear it. I don't suppose you're a musician who uses Wharfe
gear or repairs pro audio gear for a living, but rather just another
consumer or retailer who has an opinion.

As far as the Behringer gear goes I have no experience with it so
other than seeing a lot of negative comments about it from those who
do use or repair it i have no opinion.

Behringer is like any company...some usable for semi pro, some absolute
garbage.

Thee odd thing is most negative comments about Behringer do NOT come from
users as you say.

Almost all negative posts about Behringer are from users of other brands.

It's no worse than any other cheap stuff, better sometimes. I don't us it,
but plenty of weekend warrriors do.

If Behringer was a s bad as people try to say, they would be out of
business.

Conclusion- many aof the negative posts are bull.

I don't use Behringer, or Mackie, or any of that kinda stuff. But I am not
gonna insist everybody drive the same brand of car I do.