Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Millwright Ron[_2_] Millwright Ron[_2_] is offline

Default NRA- Yes We can!

On Nov 16, 3:09*am, Gunner wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 08:58:53 -0600, "David R.Birch"
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

A P3AT in pocket beats a M1911A1 left at home.

Rule #1 in a gun fight: Have a gun.

David

Why would one leave a perfectly good 1911 at home?

Because it's not concealable for many.

Lots of subcompacts in .4x caliber out there.

Not like having the P3AT, knowing it's there, yet not feeling the
weight of a gun in your pocket.

If I run across a small .45 (NOT an AMT Backup) auto w/o paper for a
decent price, I'd probably pick it up. Most I've seen don't seem worth
what they're asking. The small Glock would work.

David

Ive carried daily, an AMT DAO (Backup) .45 for at least 10 yrs
somewhere on my person and have fired at least 2000 rds without a
bobble. *Its the smallest .45 Ive found to be dead nuts reliable. I
once owned a Semmerling...which was a very very expensive piece of
****.

Now Ive done a bit of tuning to the AMT, ramp job, trigger smoothing
and whatnot, but nothing anyone counldnt do on a kitchen table.

I can group a magazine inside a playing card at 15 yrds if I do my
part, and keep them all inside the COM on a B70 at 25, all day long.

I qualified the last 8 yrs with it for my CCW. High shooter in most of
the classes too.

The .380 AMT Backup, was an utter piece of ****. Ive owned several,
and dumped em after playing with them, finding them to be utterly
unreliable for backup carry. *But the .45....good **** Maynard.

I also have a Series 70 with me, just about 24-7, sometimes in my
brief case, sometimes on my person, depending on threat level. * Now
its had a "half accuracy" job done to it by me, many years ago. * Bout
170,000 rounds through it in the 30 yrs since I bought it to carry as
a deputy. *Couple slide stops, a barrel collet,..the usual. It has a
buffer, recoil spring rod, Pacmayers, raised front sight with robins
egg blue insert (needing to redo the insert...it fell out at the
combat match Sept 7th), and I machined and installed a Colt Python
rear adjustable sight in the slide..Crom..maybe 25 yrs ago. *I change
the recoil and main springs every 3 yrs or so, "just in case" *I
rotate the Wilson Combat mags every 6 months..with one in the weapon,
two loaded and at hand, with 9 more on rotation for this weapon. *Ive
got probably 30 or so 1911 mags, as Ive "several" other
1911s/clones/Frankenguns. *And a number of hi-caps for the P-14
Paraords, which I built a number of.

When Im out in the desert, I carry either a S&W Mod 57 in .41 Mag, or
a S&W 586 .357. * In coyote country, its usually the .357, in hog
country, its usually the .41. *Both are 4" barrels

Mostly in Bianchi Cyclone crossdraw rigs (leather..hate the nylon
Cylones) , so I can sit a saddle, drive a vehicle or carry a backpack,
but have concealment rigs for both, (and virtually ALL my
handguns...humm..except for the HS Trophy)

Course I keep a BOB in my truck,with extra mags, ammo and a chopped
and channeled #4 SMLE with XXX spare ammo in strippers in a Garand
belt. * My desert rig has a different rifle, with a bit more
range...shrug. *The SMLE is only good with military peep for about 600
meters on human sized targets, and in the desert...farther is better.
Shrug.- Hide quoted text -

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
Millwrightron
www.unionmillwright.com