Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus5437 Ignoramus5437 is offline

Default Shopmade grinder with winch.

On 2008-11-16, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Ignoramus4582 wrote:
On 2008-11-16, Christopher Tidy wrote:

Ignoramus29895 wrote:

... Or so was that lot described in the Rock Island military auction
where they sold off contents of one of their buildings that they want
to remodel.

I bid on it for no good reason other than liking the Thern 1/2 HP winch.

It turned out to be bigger than I expected.

But what it turns out to be is an aluminum degasser.

That is one hell of an inaccurate description. Did it have a blower or
something on it which might reasonably have looked like a grinder? Glad
you were only wanting the winch. I'd certainly be interested to see some
pictures.

Here are some pictures. I made them while unloading. They are not too
good and I can take some more if you want. I wish I could take one
looking at it form the side so that you can see the swing arm with the
belt drive from the DC motor near the pole. It does not look like a
grinder.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Degasser/

Interesting piece of kit. Nice winch for sure. Where is the lance which
goes down into the molten aluminium, or was that not included?

not included.

I have a interesting project for this winter. I'll post some pictures at
r.c.m for people to see, but it will probably have to wait a few weeks.
I've gone back to using a film camera for most things as I got annoyed
with digital cameras breaking, losing my pictures and their batteries
going flat.

I would say, buy a better digital camera.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/