Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Electric Garage Heat

diablo wrote:

I wanted to tap the vast experience here if I may on an electric garage
heater for my home. I have a 960 square foot insulated pole barn with 11'
ceilings that I want to add some heat to for winter projects. I don't have
access to gas so I want to use electricity, I have 250 volt single phase
available, can run up to a 30 amp device without running into problems.

First I know that I probably need 480 volts to get adequate heat, or an
actual 240 volt furnace, but I have what I have both power and funds wise.
I've looked at the Dayton G73 hanging unit, Any experiences with this unit?I
know that it's probably under powered for what I have to heat, but I'm not
planning to keep the pole barn heated all the time, just weekends when I
plan to work there. And I do have a propane salamander that I can get the
building up to temperature with pretty quickly, but it's too loud to use all
day for me.

Or any comments on this another unit that might be better?

Thanks,
Brian

An air heater like the salamander is not good for this type of
intermittent heating application. You need a radiant heat source, and an
electric one to cover that kind of area will require a lot more power
than you have available. The best option to look at is an LP fueled long
tube radiant heater. You'll see this type of heater running over the
register area in places like Depot and Lowe's with big doors nearby
letting in blasts of cold air.