Posted to alt.home.repair
diablo[_3_] diablo[_3_] is offline

Default Electric Garage Heat

"George" wrote in message
diablo wrote:
I wanted to tap the vast experience here if I may on an electric garage
heater for my home. I have a 960 square foot insulated pole barn with 11'
ceilings that I want to add some heat to for winter projects. I don't
have access to gas so I want to use electricity, I have 250 volt single
phase available, can run up to a 30 amp device without running into
problems.

First I know that I probably need 480 volts to get adequate heat, or an
actual 240 volt furnace, but I have what I have both power and funds
wise. I've looked at the Dayton G73 hanging unit, Any experiences with
this unit?I know that it's probably under powered for what I have to
heat, but I'm not planning to keep the pole barn heated all the time,
just weekends when I plan to work there. And I do have a propane
salamander that I can get the building up to temperature with pretty
quickly, but it's too loud to use all day for me.

Or any comments on this another unit that might be better?

Thanks,
Brian

You didn't mention if this is in Minnesota or North Carolina and what
"some heat" is and what the "projects" might be.

Very good points George, it's south western Ohio, specifically 40 miles east
of Cincinnati. Maybe will expect temperatures as low as 22 to 25 degrees
fahrenheit in January and February. And what I would hope to accomplish is a
temperature of around 50 to 55 degrees fahrenheit, I'm trying to be
realistic with what resources that I have. The projects will be mechanical
work and no paint or other chemicals that would require a high ambient
temperature.

Thanks,
Brian