Posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,sci.electronics.repair

Default Speaker overload (tweeter) protection using bulbs (repost)

In article ,
George's Pro Sound Company wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article , liquidator
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
But no speaker is designed to handle DC for long - which is what
you can get from a grossly overloaded amp. To be certain that DC
couldn't wreck the speakers would require a *much* smaller amp than
would otherwise make sense. Or, of course, use an amp which can't
pass DC.

Jeez...a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Suggest you try driving a DC coupled amp into heavy clipping and see
the results to speakers which can nominally handle its output.

and to what point is this abuse of equipment warrented? should I trow my
cabinets off tall building to prove that they will be destroyed? this is
the PRO LIVE SOUND newsgroup we do not drive ANY amps into heavy
clipping, for any reason what-so-ever George

Err, then why are you crossposting to other groups?

However doesn't 'your' group get read by equipment hirers etc?

And to suggest no pro equipment ever gets abused by pros is pie in the
sky...

--
*To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.