Posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,sci.electronics.repair
George's Pro Sound Company George's Pro Sound Company is offline

Default Speaker overload (tweeter) protection using bulbs (repost)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
liquidator wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
But no speaker is designed to handle DC for long - which is what you
can get from a grossly overloaded amp. To be certain that DC couldn't
wreck the speakers would require a *much* smaller amp than would
otherwise make sense. Or, of course, use an amp which can't pass DC.

Jeez...a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Suggest you try driving a DC coupled amp into heavy clipping and see the
results to speakers which can nominally handle its output.

and to what point is this abuse of equipment warrented?
should I trow my cabinets off tall building to prove that they will be
destroyed?
this is the PRO LIVE SOUND newsgroup
we do not drive ANY amps into heavy clipping, for any reason what-so-ever
George