Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rodney Rodney is offline

Default Can't View TV Program When Recording With VCR

On Nov 15, 11:58 pm, UCLAN wrote:
Rodney wrote:
I just purchased a Philips DVD/VCR, Model No. DVP3345V/17, for use
with my Samsung LCD TV, Model No. LN-T3253HX/XAA and Cox digital cable
system. Everything is okay except that, when I try to record a TV
program, I get a blue screen. However, I can record the program and it
plays back fine (both picture and sound). What do I need to do to be
able to view the program that I am recording? Thanks.

You're gonna have to tell us how this whole thing is wired. Cable directly
into DVD/VCR? Cable into a cable STB? DVD/VCR - TV....how? Etc....

Okay, and thanks for the response. The cable is outputting to an RF
modulator (necessary because my TV has only a coax input), the
modulator is outputting to the TV, and the DVD/VCR's audio/video (red,
white, and yellow plugs) outputs are connected to the modulator's
audio/video inputs.

Nothing going to DVD/VCR *inputs*?

You say "The cable is outputting to an RF modulator (necessary because my TV
has only a coax input.)" The RF output of your cable box is connected to the
RF input of the modulator?

I'm confused. I'm not familiar with RF modulators that have RF inputs. And
since the DVD/VCR's composite A/V outputs (red, white, yellow) are connected
to the modulator's composite inputs, there's no composite inputs available
for input from the cable box.

Suggestion: cable box A/V (composite) outputs to modulator A/V inputs.
Modulator RF output to DVD/VCR RF input. VCR RF output to TV RF input.

Methinks you're failing to tell us something here.

The setup that I have is described he
http://hometheater.about.com/cs/dvdl...advdrfmoda.htm

So, the steps a

"First: Just plug your cable/vcr output into its cable input
connection of the RF modulator and the DVD player into the RF
modulator's AV inputs.

"Second: Connect a standard cable from the RF modulator to your TV.

"Third: Select either the channel 3 or 4 output on the back of the RF
modulator."

You seem to be suggesting that a connection is needed with the DVD/VCR
A/V inputs. But, if that's true: (1) Why doesn't the above website
mention it? and (2) How is the VCR managing to record if the
connections are wrong?