Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default Colour flagging of wires

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
om...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
om...
An electrician I sometimes work with asked the NICEIC support desk

this.
In
his case it was when he was 2 waying a light. There was no red

sleeving
on
the existing switch wire and the 3 core and earth he was installing

for
the
two way was in the new colours. He was told to use brown on the new

wires
(a
bit obvious) and red on the existing black wire.

I know that is not a reg and only the NICEICs interpretation of the

regs.
It
seems a logical enough approach though.

Adam

But brown does just as well. As the colour brown has now been chosen to
signify a live conductor in the new harmonised scheme. But, also, the
colour red can be used in a none mixed scheme to signify a switched live
conductor, which gives no reference to black or blue on the switched

live
any fitting, making it easier to distinguish all the switched live
conductors. Brown supply. Red Switched supply. Blue Neutral.

Make your mind up.

If you have red in a non mixed scheme then you are using the old colours

and
only the old colours. Brown is not one of the old colours. By adding brown
you have a mixed scheme.

Adam

I didn't word that properly, did I? I didn't mean to use the phrase "a none
mixed scheme" in there. What I meant was, even in an installation which
uses the new harmonised colours, you can also use red to distinguish your
switched live conductors. So giving Brown as the supply. Red as the
switched live to the appliance and Blue as the neutral conductors.

Is that clearer? Let me read through that again. Yeah. That makes more
sense.

(Note to self: (Must put brain in gear before typing what comes into head
for the split second before fingers move across keyboard.)) lol