Posted to alt.architecture,alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default ****t

wrote:
On Nov 15, 4:56 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

In your case, if you lived in a community property state, you are not
required to sign any contract for it to be valid. In those states,
marriage is presumed to be a partnership and any obligation entered
into by one spouse is equally binding on the other.

Yikes! That's just insane! Why does anyone ever get married in those
states? Co-mingling finances is a recipe for disaster. Glad I live in
NY.

You're right about co-mingling. Even in community property states, there are
provisions for separate property, usually property obtained prior to the
marriage or via inheritance. Without diligence, this separate property can
easily be converted to community property by co-mingling.

But it averages out. We don't have alimony.