Posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,sci.electronics.repair
George's Pro Sound Company George's Pro Sound Company is offline

Default Speaker overload (tweeter) protection using bulbs (repost)

No lamps in my meyers. setting up a system that both sounds good and
stays within the limits of the equipment used is NOT hard, it simply
requires one know what they are doing.

These days always having 'someone who knows what they're doing' is rare.
And even less likely with a small band starting out. So you need to make
equipment as idiot proof as possible.

a amp equal to the speaker rms
rateing will never burn out the speaker unless the amp is clipped hard
and long it will never exceed the excursion of the speaker unless
someone fires a gun a inch from a mic at foolish gains set your system
up properly and you have no need for these foolish lamps.

Either the amp cannot produce enough wally to damage the speakers or it
can - so the gunshot thing is rubbish.

Bull****
excursion aand burning out are completely diffrent
a amp "can" put out several times it's rated power for a instant, enough to
throw a cone. been there already

But no speaker is designed to
handle DC for long - which is what you can get from a grossly overloaded
amp. To be certain that DC couldn't wreck the speakers would require a
*much* smaller amp than would otherwise make sense.

the lamp does nothing twards DC protection. I have caps on my tweeters that
do prevent DC

Or, of course, use an
amp which can't pass DC.

except when they fail.

create cheap
MI gear that is used improperly and you need to limit the abuse idiots
can administer, to save on the warrentte costs I have never heard a
speaker with lamps(I've owned plenty) sound as good as a speaker with
out lamps

Correctly designed the lamp should have little effect on the sound as its
cold resistance will be very low. Only when it starts to 'protect' will
the resistance increase.

the designers activate these lamps at such low power levels they are almost
constantly lit

again no lamps in my meyers, I do have alimiter but it is set well
above any threshold I pass music at. why buy a 1000 watt amp then limit
it to 300 watts, why not just buy a 300 watt amp?

Why are you using a limiter at all, then?

why not properly use a properly sized amp, why would you limit within the
range that your produceing in?
if it ain't loud enough, deploy more gear.
I have limiters for dumb ****s
true story from 1993 at one of my first shows with a guest engineer
like the guy who's talkback mic was draped across my console when he grabbed
it the cable spun the trim pot for the kick drum to max
next hit of the drum I had 7 18 inch speaker cones sitting in the feild
next day I got a limiter
more true lifes adventures

for when the "talent" throws a wireless mic against the wall, but the
limiter didn't stop Marlyn Manson from trashing a Midas console on me with a
cast base mic stand though

george