Posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Speaker overload (tweeter) protection using bulbs (repost)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

George's Pro Sound Company wrote:
"Ron Johnson" wrote in message
Eeyore wrote:

This is a well established technique for preventing voice coils
burning out under conditions of 'overdrive'.

here is a novel thought
DON"T OVERDRIVE THEM
simple and effective

Easily said - but not so easy to do when setting up this sort of
equipment. Let alone when that equipment is being used by all sorts.

And it is. Another new house engineer recently for example.

it's what I do the easiest way to overdrive a speaker is to use a amp

larger than the
speakers rateing

Strangely that's not always so.

Well this is where it gets slightly complicated.

The best solution would be a decent limiter on the amp input - but these
cost if it's not going to sound horrid when it operates. A bulb is a very
cheap solution to help protect the speakers.

But a simple level limiter still won't stop the amp delivering full power say
@ 8kHz. Tweeters aren't meant to see that. It would have to be a frequency
sensitive limiter matched to the crossover. Which has given me a product idea
of course.

Graham